These presentations were delivered at the WoodSolution seminar: Timber Innovation, Manufacture, Design and Construction: Residential to Mid-rise in Melbourne on October 31 2019.
We apologise for missing presentations as not all presenters were able to share their work.
Morning Sessions: 21st Century Timber Innovation and Manufacture
Session 1: Innovation
- The Creative and Innovative Use of Timber - Diego Bekinschtein, John Wardle Architects
- Robust Multi-Storey Engineered Timber Designs - Jane Armstrong, TTW
- Technological Innovation – Revolutionising Design and Build - Paul Kremer, Deakin University, University of Melbourne
Session 2: Manufacture and Supply
- Timber Manufacture & Supply in Australia – the Current State of Play – Tim Rossiter, MiTek
- Innovation and Change in Timber System Design, Manufacture and Supply – George Konstandakos, Lendlease DesignMake (not available)
- Passive House + Prefabricated Architecture – Kate Nason, ARKit
Afternoon Sessions: Mid-rise Timber Design & Construction Case Studies
Session 3: Mid-rise - Multi-Residential Case Studies – Laurence Ritchie, MAP
- Oxford Apartments – Maurice Leone, DKO
- Olea Apartments – Lachlan Kennedy, Figurehead Constructions
- Launch of Technical Design Guide #51 – Trent Kennedy, RLB and Laurence Ritchie, MAP
Session 4: Mid-rise – Office Building Case Studies – Adam Jones, MAP
- Fire Safety of Exposed Post & Beam Timber Structures – Ben Ferguson, NDY
- Ballarat Gov Hub – Jack Alam - Kane Constructions
- Delivery of World Class Timber Offices – George Konstandakos, Lendlease (not available)
Session 5: Mid-rise - University Student Accommodation Case Studies – Paolo Lavisci, MAP
- Gillies Hall, Monash University – Danielle Savio, Multiplex
- Kambri, ANU – Andrew Smith, Lendlease (not available)
- Latrobe University – Jarvis Mellor, Duo Projects
The Creative and Innovative Use of Timber - Diego Bekinschtein, John Wardle Architects
In this presentation, Diego Bekinschtein of John Wardle Architects, shows a diverse range of residential, civic and educational projects - each featuring the extensive use of timber.
Robust Multi-storey Concepts for Engineered Timber Designs - Jane Armstrong
Jane Armstrong, Associate Taylor Thomson Whitting, discusses the process of using mass timber and demonstrates it with a case study - Latrobe University student housing.
Technological Innovation: Revolutionising Design & Build - Paul Kremer
Adj. Assoc. Prof. Paul Kremer, Deakin University Research Fellow, University of Melbourne, looks at the potentially disruptive roles of technology on the design and construction process - from prefabrication to drones, BIM and Blockchain.
Timber Manufacture & Supply in Australia – the Current State of Play - Tim Rossiter
In Timber Manufacture & Supply in Australia – the Current State of Play, Tim Rossiter, General Manager Building Solutions Asia Pacific MiTek, looks at the evolution of the timber manufacturing and supply chain, illustrated by a case study: Canberra's National Portrait Gallery.
Passive House and Prefabricated architecture - Kate Nason
ARKit's Kate Nason explains how they integrate the design, prefab manufacturing and construction processes, illustrated by a wide range of case studies.
Olea Apartments - Lachlan Kennedy - Figurehead
Lachlan Kennedy shows Figurehead's extensive experience in lightweight timber construction, the benefits it delivers and illustrates with a cese study of Olea Apartments.
Oxford Apartments - Maurice Leone, DKO
Using a range of projects and showing both large scale drawings and details, Maurice Leone explains the design and construction philosphy behione Oxford Apartments.
WoodSolutions Technical Guide 51 – Trent Kennedy, RLB and Laurence Ritchie, MAP
Trent Kennedy, RLB and Laurence Ritchie, MAP, authors of WoodSolutions Technical Guide 51, Cost Engineering of Mid-rise Timber Buildings, introduce the guide and explain its structure and contents.
Fire Safety of Exposed Post & Beam Timber Structures – Ben Ferguson, NDY
Ben Ferguson, Norman Disney Young, takes us through the decision making process for ensuring the fire safety of exposed timber post and beam structures.
Ballarat Gov Hub - Jack Allam
Jack Allam from Kane Constructions delivers a case study containing the lessons learnt to date on the Ballarat Gov Hub, due for completion in 2020
Gillies Hall Monash University - Danielle Savio
Danielle Savio from Multiplex Constructions explains the rationale behind using CLT for Monash University Peninsula's 150 bed Gillies Hall student accommodation.
Latrobe University – Jarvis Mellor - Duo Projects
Jarvis Mellor from Duo Projects, a Project and Development Management consultancy, discusses the learnings from the Latrobe University student accommodation project.